Sunday, March 1, 2009
STEAMFISH WITH SALTED VEGETABLE
Pickled Mustard Leaf (salted vegetable)
Clean the cod with water and salt (Rub salt on fish flesh and rinse with water)
Slice all the other ingredients (size, shape, quantity depends on your preference)
Place all the ingredients on and around the cod in a shallow dish
Boil a pot of water. When the water is boiling, steam the dish for 20 mins.
Teow Chew style steamed fish with salted vegetable and chinese tofu:
Serves 3 - 4
1 Sea bass
2 leaf of salted vegetables, steeped and thinly sliced
1 cube of bean curd aka tofu, cut into small cubes
1 - 2 preserved whole plum, lightly mashed
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 slice of ginger, cut into strips
1 tablespoon of white sesame oil
Pinch of salt and white pepper
1 fresh red chili, cut
1) Wash and scale fish, place in a large metal or porcelain dish.
2) Season with sesame oil, salt, white pepper and Hua Diao Rice Wine.
3) Place chopped garlic, ginger strips, tofu cubes, salted vegetable strips, preserved plum, and lastly, cut chili, on top of the fish.
4) Place whole platter in the top portion of electric steamer, or in a wok half filled with water (place platter on a steamer rack in the wok). Steam fish for 20 minutes. Serves hot with rice.
Tips: Preserved plum can be found in most Chinese grocery shops in the wet market, neighbourhood area, or supermarkets. It is usually packed in medium glass bottle.
Place 1 - 2 preserved plum in this fish dish makes better taste of the fish. It will help to enhance the overall taste of this dish, too.
* Sea Bass has 2 types: 1 from river and 1 from sea. Get the from SEA Sea Bass instead of from the river. Sea Bass from sea is more suitable for steaming method as it will not have the 'muddy' taste as the river fish. Ask the fishmonger 'from where the Sea bass is", before you pick it!
Pickled Mustard Leaf(salted vege)
Chilli padi-3pcs sliced
Garlic- 1pc crushed
Lemon grass- 1 stalk-crushed
Lime juice(limau kesturi)-3