Monday, June 22, 2009
ChOcOlAtE IcE CrEaM CaKe
2 eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
ICE CREAM LAYERS(recipe follows)
3/4 cup sweetened whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping
1/2 cup fresh fruit, sliced
CHOCOLATE CREAM ROSETTES(recipe follows, optional)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans. (If only 2 pans are available, reserve one-third of batter in refrigerator while first 2 layers are baking.)
2. Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add oil, buttermilk and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg white mixture into batter. Pour about 1-2/3 cups batter into each prepared pan.
3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. (Bake remaining layer, if necessary.) Cool completely.
4. Wrap each layer separately in foil; freeze several hours or several days in advance of serving. Prepare ICE CREAM LAYERS. Remove cake and ICE CREAM LAYERS from freezer; peel off foil. On serving plate, alternately layer cake and ice cream layers, beginning and ending with cake. Wrap tightly; return to freezer. Just before serving, frost top of cake with whipped cream. Arrange fruit in decorative design on top; pipe on CHOCOLATE ROSETTES, if desired. 10 to 12 servings.
ICE CREAM LAYERS: Line two 9-inch round layer pans with foil; working quickly, evenly spread 1/2 gallon of your favorite flavor slightly softened ice cream into prepared pans. Cover tightly; freeze until firm.
CHOCOLATE CREAM ROSETTES: In small mixer bowl, stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa. Stir in 1/2 cup cold whipping cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until stiff; spoon into decorating bag fitted with large rosette tip.
MiLk ChOcOlAtE ChIp PeCaN PoUnD CaKe
2 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips, divided
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan. Place 1 cup milk chocolate chips in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted when stirred.
2. Beat butter in large bowl until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating on medium speed of mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate; beat until blended.
3. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until blended. Add syrup and vanilla; beat until blended. Stir in remaining milk chocolate chips and pecans. Spoon batter into prepard pan.
4. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. 12 to 16 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.