85g soft light brown sugar
200g soft butter
250g self raising flour
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g dark chocolate drops
50g preserved ginger from a jar, roughly chopped
1) Beat together the sugar and butter until pale and creamy. Stir in the remaining ingredients until you have a soft dough. Roll the dough into walnut size pieces and space out generously on the lined baking sheets. Leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2) Bake the cookies in the preheated oven at 180C for 12 minutes or until lightly golden (they will still feel quite soft in the middle).
3) Leave on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes until firm, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Replace chocolate and ginger with one of these combinations
- 100g milk chocolate and 50g roasted salted peanuts.
- 150g dried cranberries and grated rind of 1 orange.
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon and 140g raisins.
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds and grated rind of 1 lemon.
- 150g mixed chopped dark, milk and white chocolate.