Here's the ingredients and recipe :
Daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves), taken from my own plant.
This leaf is a must in most of the nyonya cooking. It adds its own
aromatic fragrance in most nyonya dishes.
Belimbing fruit, cut lengthwise.
Ingredients for cooking Sambal Belimbing Chicken
Sambal Belimbing Chicken
Here's the recipe :
1 chicken (cut to pieces, skin and fats removed)
50-60gm dry chilli (soaked in hot boiling water for about 30 mins, drained)
400 gm small onions
3 pcs candlenuts
30 gm belacan (shrimp paste)
200 gm belimbing (whole, discard tips of both ends)
3-4 pcs daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves)
3/4 cup cooking oil
1. Blend soaked dry chilli, onions, candlenuts and belacan to a fine paste.
2. Heat oil. Fry pounded ingredients over medium heat till fragrant and oil surfaces (this may take about 15-20 mins). Add in daun limau purut.
3. Stir for a minute and add in chicken. Stir till chicken is well coated.
4. Add in belimbing and salt to taste. Stir well, cover and cook over medium flame, stirring every few minutes.
5. Simmer until chicken is cooked.
6. Serve with plain white rice. Yummy!
(You can reduce the amount of belimbing, and gradually increase a little at a time to suit your taste, if you do not like it too sour).