(The first was D’Original Buko Pie which still sells the best buko pie in Los Baños in Laguna.)
Estimated cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Buko Pie Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 piece eggyolk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 4 cups coconut meat
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 300 ml. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
Buko Pie Cooking Instructions:
- Blend flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using two knives or a pastry cutter.
- Combine yolk, vinegar and water; slowly add the liquid to the flour mixing until dough can be handled.
- Divide dough into 2 parts with one part slightly bigger than the other. Roll bigger dough to about 2 inches larger than a 16-inch pie plate.
- Fit dough into a pie plate, letting sides hang.
- Roll out remaining dough for the crust.
- Set aside.
- Combine filling ingredients in a thick saucepan.
- Cook stirring constantly until thickened. Cool then pour into prepared crust.
- Cover with top crust; flute or crimp edges together to seal.
- Bake for 1 hr. at 425 degrees F.
- 2 cups young coconut, shredded
- ½ cup young coconut juice
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup cornstarch + ½ cup cold milk
- To make the pie crust, combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Combine egg yolks and ice water and blend into flour mixture until it turns into dough.
- Add a little more water if dough is still crumbly.
- Divide dough into two (2) equal portions and wrap in plastic film. Refrigerate for 30 mixtures.
- Roll out dough to make two (2) crusts, about ¼ inch thick.
- Cover bottom of pie pan evenly with one (1) pie crust, and cut-off excess around the pan.
- Evenly prick the pie crust all over using a fork and bake in a pre-heated oven at 450 for 10-12 minutes.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- Combine pie-filling ingredients except cornstarch mixture in a deep saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When boiling gently, add cornstarch mixture, stirring continually until combined mixture has thickened.
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared pie crust.
- Top the pie pan with the remaining prepared pie crust, and seal edges using a fork or crimp the pie edge using your fingers.
- Brush the top of pie with an egg-wash and bake at 400 degree until crust turns golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely and then refrigerate until firm.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted sweetened coconut flakes just before serving.
@Buko Pie-Recipes Wiki
okay anyone who loves pies, why not try this recipes,looks rich and tasty, probably I might try this one.happy trying..