- 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp red colouring
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk - 1 cup milk + 1/2 tbsp vinegar/lemon
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pre heat oven to 175C.
- In one container, sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small container, combine cocoa powder and red coloring and stir well until form a paste (added a little water).
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beat until blended. Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder mixture, beat until well blended.
- Add in sifted flour and buttermilk alternately. Beginning and ending with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda and add it to batter. Stir well with a spatula. Pour into a 6" baking pan and bake it for 50mins or until cooked.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Once cool, slice cake into two and spread cream cheese filling and top it with the rest of your cream cheese too. Cream cheese frosting :
- 125g cream cheese
- 50g unsalted butter
- 110g powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh cream whipped until stiff
- Beat cream cheese with butter until soft.
- Turn mixer to low speed and add powdered sugar a little at a time. Whisk until well blended.
- Add whipped cream, stir through with a spatula.